A true Yogi is someone who displays great wisdom and compassion, who hears the suffering in the world, who serves others, and who loves and gives unconditionally. This makes Santa far more than just a jolly guy in a red outfit, for he is a remarkable example of such qualities, ones we may want to emulate ourselves:
1. He encourages us to do good and be good. Now that’s a big one, as many of us often act mindlessly or selfishly.
2. He gives endlessly, to everyone, all over the world, all at pretty much the same time. This indicates a truly vast and generous heart that takes great joy in giving, without any need to receive in return.
3. Yet he does not give blindly. Rather, he judges what is the most appropriate gift for each. This shows how generosity also needs wisdom to be of the most benefit.
4. He hears our requests and reads our letters. Meaning that he takes the time to listen and pay attention, which we could all do a lot more of.
5. He encourages rituals and invokes magic, such as letter writing, stocking filling, decorations, milk and cookies. Ritual is an essential part of honoring something that is greater than us, while magic is the beauty of the unknown.
6. He has great psychic powers: he flies in the sky with reindeer, descends chimneys without getting covered in soot, goes by many different names, and is extraordinarily elusive. Has anyone actually ever seen him?
7. He knows where we live. In other words, he lives inside every one of us.
8. Most importantly, he lifts our spirits at the darkest time, bringing laughter and joy, which is undoubtedly the greatest gift of all. He hurts no one and heals many hearts.
Through caring and giving, a la Santa, we move from selfishness to selflessness, from self-centeredness to other-centeredness. True generosity is giving without any thought of getting or receiving, it is unconditional and unattached. Through giving and sharing in this way, we don’t lose anything. Rather, we gain so much.
Is there a Santa in your heart?
Ed & Deb are the authors of many books. Deb is the author of award-winning Your Body Speaks Your Mind, now in 21 languages. They have three meditation CDs. See more at EdandDebShapiro.com